17th FEB- News & Current Affairs Update
Editorial Team 17-02-2016
- JNU students union leader Kanhaiya Kumar and journalists were attacked in a Patiala court complex in New Delhi by rowdy lawyers second day in succession.
- Senior IPS officer Alok Kumar Verma will be the next commissioner of Delhi Police, succeeding incumbent B S Bassi, who will hang his boots on February 29.
- The Union Cabinet on Wednesday recommended revocation of President’s Rule in Arunachal Pradesh.
- A report by the Taiwanese Defense Ministry states that China has placed surface-to-air missiles on the disputed Woody Island in South China Sea.
- Germany has called for a no-fly zone in northern Syria to help reduce the number of displaced Syrians.
- Maldives jails opposition leader Sheikh Imran Abdulla for terrorism. It is claimed that he urged the overthrow of the government in a speech.
- Apple Inc. says it will appeal a court order to create a backdoor for an iPhone 5c belonging to Syed Farook who conducted the 2015 San Bernardino attack.
- 12th South Asian Games (SAG) 2016 concluded on 16 February at the Indira Gandhi Athletic Stadium, Sarusajai of Guwahati, Assam. A total of 228 events in 23 sports disciplines were held. India finished at top with 308 medals.
- Paris Saint Gobain(PSG) has defeated Chelsea 2-1 at home in the first leg match of the group of 16 of UEFA Champions League football.
- Benfica beat Zenit St Petersburg 1-0 at home in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie.
- Thai tennis player Jatuporn Nalamphun has been suspended for 18 months and fined $5,000 after being found guilty of betting on tennis matches.
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
- Iran says that it plans to increase its crude oil output until it achieves pre-sanction levels, although that contravenes OPEC efforts to restrain output.
- Canadian multinational aerospace and transportation company Bombardier Inc. is to cut 7,000 jobs worldwide over the next two years.
- Tiger Global Management Llc has invested $10 million (Rs.65.6 crore) in popular online video content creator ‘The Viral Fever’ (TVF)