20th FEB- News & Current Affairs Update
Editorial Team 20-02-2016
- Seven persons were killed on Saturday while several others were injured as security personnel opened fire during violent protests for quota by Jat community in Rohtak and Jhajjar districts.
- Dissident Congress leader Kalikho Pul was on Friday night sworn in as chief minister of Arunachal Pradesh after more than two months of political crisis.
- Harper Lee, one of America's most celebrated novelists and author of masterpiece To Kill a Mockingbird, has passed away. She was 89.
- Italian refugee documentary Fire at Sea, directed by Gianfranco Rosi, wins the 66th Berlin International Film Festival's Golden Bear award for best film.
- Hillary Clinton won Nevada Primary in a close race against Bernie Sanders, winning 52% vote as against Bernie Sanders’s 48%.
- The President of Uganda Yoweri Museveni is declared the winner of the Presidential election with 60% of the vote.
- South Africa beat England by 5 wickets in the first T20. Score England 134/8, South Africa 135/7
- New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum set a new record for the fastest Test century when he scored 100 runs in 54 balls.
- India's long jumper Mayookha Johny won her second medal -- a silver in women's triple jump -- to add to her gold in long jump on the second day of Asian Indoor Athletics Championships, in Doha
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
- Beverage maker PepsiCo has signed up as BCCI on-ground sponsor for domestic and international matches.
- Christine Lagarde was, on 19th Feb, appointed as MD of IMF for second term for a second five-year term starting on 5 July 2016.