22nd FEB- News & Current Affairs Update
Editorial Team 22-02-2016
- Pampore stand-off on the outskirts of Srinagar came to an end with all the three militants being killed by the Indian armed forces.
- The Supreme Court refused to pass an interim order against "illegal" swearing-in of its rebel leader Kalikho Pul-led government in Arunachal Pradesh, saying it can "set the clock back" if the governor's actions are found unconstitutional.
- Zimbabwe's president Robert Mugabe has kicked out private diamond miners and has nationalized the diamond mining industry.
- Russia has announced that it will ask permission to fly unarmed surveillance planes over the United States citing the Open Skies Treaty.
- Ugandan general election, 2016-Opposition leader Kizza Besigye was arrested while trying to obtain copies of the official election results.
- Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos has rejected an extension to peace talks with the FARC rebel group if an agreement is not reached before the March deadline.
- U.S. and South Korea are close to agreement on deployment of THAAD (Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system) on the peninsula in the wake of recent North Korea provocations.
- Long-distance runner Lalita Babar was named Sports Person of the Year at the India Sports Awards 2015 in New Delhi in an event organized by FICCI and supported by the Sports Ministry.
- India finished 7th in their campaign at the Asian Wrestling Championship in Bangkok, Thailand with nine medals, including a gold.In Men's Freestyle category, Sandeep Tomar won the yellow metal in 57kg. READ FULL REPORT HERE
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
- Data released by the Govt show investment proposals in the industrial sector, in value terms, was down by 23 % to Rs 3.11 Lakh crore, an 11-year low in 2015. READ FULL REPORT HERE
- The rupee on Monday dropped by 15 paise to end at a fresh 30-month low of 68.61 per dollar on renewed demand for the American currency from banks and importers