26th FEB- News & Current Affairs Update
Editorial Team 26-02-2016
- Controversial Madras high court Judge Justice C S Karnan, who recently 'stayed' the CJI's order transferring him, has been directed to join the Calcutta high court on or before March 11.
- Iranian elections, 2016-Voters in Iran went to the polls for an Islamic Consultative Assembly and Assembly of Experts elections.
- Philippine security forces have killed as many as 42 ISIL-linked militants and captured their stronghold in the predominantly Muslim Lanao del Sur province.
- The Syrian cessation of hostilities truce has come into effect. The United Nations Security Council, via resolution 2268, has endorsed the truce which has been agreed to by nearly 100 rebel factions. The ceasefire does not apply to military actions against terrorist organizations, such as ISIL and Jabhat al-Nusra (al-Qaeda in Syria)
- Irish general election, 2016-Voters in Ireland went to the polls for a general election.
- Republican Party presidential candidates- 2016-Former presidential candidate, Governor Chris Christie (New Jersey), who suspended his campaign two weeks ago, has endorsed Donald Trump’s candidature.
- Hashim Thaçi has been elected as the President of Kosovo by the Parliament amid violent protests.
- The United States Air Force has unveiled the Northrop Grumman B-21 long-range strategic bomber designed to replace the aging fleet of B-1 Lancer and B-52 bombers.
- Bangla Desh beat UAE by 51 runs in their match of the Asia Cup T20 tournament. Score Bangla Desh: 133/8 for 8 UAE: 82 in 17.4 Overs.
- Gianni Infantino has been elected as the new FIFA president in the second round of voting after the first round was inconclusive.
- Mirza and Hingis winning run of 41 matches came to an end, when they were beaten 2-6, 6-4, 10-5 by Russian duo Elena Vesnina and Daria Kasatkina in the quarter-finals of the Qatar Open.
- Mumbai won the Ranji Trophy with an innings and 21 run victory over Saurashtra. With this, they have 41 titles in 45 finals.
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
- Economic Survey has put GDP growth target at 7-7.75 per cent for next fiscal and has asked the government to press ahead with reforms, cut subsidies and introduce GST. KEY HIGHLLLIGHTS OF ECONOMIC SURVEY
- Taiwan’s Foxconn has put on hold its acquisition of Japan's Sharp Corporation for 700 billion Japanese yen ($6.2 billion).READ MORE HERE
- The Infosys board has extended Vishal Sikka’s term as CEO and MD by two years till March 31, 2021.