27th Jan-National, International and Sports News Round-up
Editorial Team 27-01-2016
- The Union Cabinet on 27 January 2016 approved increase in the Authorized Share Capital of the National Scheduled Castes Finance and Development Corporation (NSFDC).
- Prez rule in Arunachal: SC has asked the Centre to reply by Jan 29 while hearing a petition filed by the Congress..
- India has climbed nine points to rank 76th in this year's Global Corruption Index released on Wednesday. Denmark tops of the index for the second consecutive year as the country perceived as least corrupt. It scored 91 points, while North Korea and Somalia remained at the bottom with unchanged scores of 8.
- Indian lawyer and human rights defender Henri Tiphagne on 26 January 2016 was selected for the 8th Human Rights Award by Amnesty International Germany.
- The Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot launched the National level Job portal www.disabilityjobs.gov.in for Persons with Disabilities (PwDs)
- Chennupati Jagadish and Jay Chandra, Indian-origin persons, were honoured with the Order of Australia, highest civilian honour of Australia on the occasion of the Australia Day
- Several Zika virus cases have been reported in Denmark, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom and Switzerland.
- Hilda Heine is elected President of the Marshall Islands by Parliament, becoming the country's first female president, as well as the first woman to serve as president of any Micronesian country.
- Deputy Prime Minister Nguyễn Xuân Phúc, a member of the Politburo, is expected to replace Nguyễn Tấn Dũng as prime minister. Dũng is not eligible for another term.
- Suicide bombers blow themselves up in the northeast Nigerian town of Chibok, killing at least 13 and injuring at least 30 others
- Bikram Yoga founder Bikram Choudhury has been ordered by a Los Angeles jury to pay $924,554 (Rs 6.28 crore/Rs 62.8 million) as compensation to Minakshi Jafa Bodden, his former legal advisor, for wrongful termination
- David Warner was named Australia’s cricketer of the year as he won the 2016 Allan Border Medal, while also being honoured with the Test Player of the Year award, in Melbourne, on Wednesday.
- Hosts Bangladesh gave the ICC Under-19 World Cup 2016 a momentous start with a 43-run victory over defending champions South Africa in the opening Group 'A' match, in Chittagong, on Wednesday.
- Milos Raonic stormed past Gael Monfils 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 to reach the semi-finals of the Australian Open for the first time.
- Top seeds Sania and Hingis cruised to an easy 6-1, 6-0 victory in the semi-final matchagainst Germany's Julia Georges and Karolina Pliskova of the Czech Republic.
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
- Ratan Tata has invested in specialty tea firm Teabox
- Apple Inc also saw its first revenue drop in 13 years, suggesting the technology company's period of exponential growth may be ending.
- Bajaj Auto to launch bike from metal used in INS Vikrant