6th FEB-National, International and Sports News Round-up
Editorial Team 06-02-2016
- Eminent cartoonist Sudhir Tailang died in New Delhi on Saturday after battling brain cancer for over two years. He was 56.
- A case has come to light wherein the Gujarat Govt allotted land five years ago to a company which allegedly has close business links with Anar Patel, daughter of Chief Minister Anandiben Patel.
- The Supreme Court has questioned Arunachal Pradesh Governor J P Rajkhowa’s decision to advance the assembly session to December last year from this January.
- An al Qaeda affiliate has freed Jocelyn Elliott, an Australian woman kidnapped in Burkina Faso along with her husband.
- Queen Jetsun Pema of Bhutan gives birth to a son, the heir apparent of the Bhutanese throne.
- A 6.4 magnitude earthquake struck southern Taiwan. Taiwan's official Central News Agency reported that 14 people were killed and 484 injured.
- England beat South Africa by five- wicket to go 2-0 up in the ODI series. Scores: SA: 262/7 in 50 Overs, Eng: 263/5 in 46.2 Overs.
- Australia defeated New Zealand by 5 wickets to level the ODI series 1-1. Scores : New Zealand: 281/9 in 50 Overs ,Australia:283/6 in 46.3 Overs.
- Shane Watson emerged as the most expensive player in the IPL auction going for Rs 9.5 Cr. Pavan Negi was the most expensive Indian player with a price tag of Rs 8.5 Cr.
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
- Aided by low fuel costs and an increase in revenue Jet Airways posted a record Rs 467 crore consolidated profit in the third quarter of 2015-16.