8th March- News & Current Affairs Update
Editorial Team 08-03-2016
- The National Green Tribunal has questioned the Centre as to why no environmental clearance was required for erecting structures in Yamuna Flood plains for Sri Sri Ravi Shankar’s Art of Living three-day ‘World Culture Festival’.
- Allahabad University Students’ Union Richa Singh along with Opposition parties has accused HRD Minister Smriti Irani for harassment because she opposed BJP MP Aditya Nath’s visit to the University campus.
- Bangladesh's Supreme Court has upheld the death sentence of a top Islamist leader Mir Qasem Ali for war crimes during the country’s independence struggle against Pakistan in 1971, paving the way for his execution.
- The United States govt has announced restrictions against China's second-largest telecommunications company ZTE for violating U.S. sanctions placed on Iran.
- The kidnapped son of slain Punjab governor Salman Taseer was recovered from Pakistan’s Balochistan province in a multi-agency security operation, nearly five years after he went missing.
- The European Union and Turkey have agreed on broad principles for a plan to ease the migration crisis which includes returning thousands of migrants to Turkey.
- South Korea has imposed direct sanctions against North Korea that blacklists dozens of Northern companies and people for the first time, and bans ships from its waters.
- An Istanbul court has placed the Cihan News Agency under state control. This comes just days after the Turkish government seized control of the opposition Zaman newspaper.
- Zimbabwe defeated Hong kong in the first qualifier match of the T20 world cup. Scores: Zimbabwe: 158-8 (V Sibanda 59).Hong Kong: 144-6 (J Atkinson 53)
- Afghanistan defeated Scotland in their qualifier match of the T20 world cup. Scores: Afghanistan: 170-5 (M Shahzad 61).Scotland: 144-6 (G Munsey 41).
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has announced complete roll back the controversial proposal to tax the employees' provident fund at the time of withdrawal. In his Budget for 2016-17, Jaitley had proposed to tax 60 per cent of the corpus of the EPF contributions created after April 1, 2016 at the time of withdrawal.
- Korean electronics giant Samsung on Tuesday said its flagship Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge smartphones will be available for Sale in India later this month priced at Rs 48,900 onwards.
- National Stock Exchange of India is planning foreign listing in addition to self-listing in India.