DIY Decor Lights
Amanda Kingloff/Women's Health: 05-11-2015
- Paper towels
- Rubber gloves
- Rit Liquid Fabric Dye
- Plastic bucket
- Fabric doilies
- Beach ball
- Petroleum jelly
- Aleene's Fabric Stiffener
- Up to 60W LED lightbulb
- Artecnica Cord Kit Textile
How to do it:
- First, protect your work table with paper towels and put on rubber gloves. Then, follow the package directions to mix a dye bath in the plastic bucket.
- Submerge each doily in the dye bath for 10 to 30 seconds (note: the longer they soak, the deeper the color will be), then wring out and lay flat to dry (about 24 hours) on paper towels. Clean bucket.
- Tie one end of a length of twine around the ball's valve; tape the other end to the work table so the ball hangs just above the floor. Lay paper towels underneath to catch any drips.
- Apply a thin coat of petroleum jelly to the inflated beach ball (this will keep the doilies from sticking).
- Pour fabric stiffener into the bucket and dip in a doily, fully saturating the fibers. Squeeze excess stiffener into the bucket and position the doily on the beach ball.
- Repeat with the remaining doilies, positioning them around the ball so they overlap slightly. Smooth down uplifted edges as you go. Cut a 3½" hole at the top.
- Let the lantern dry completely (about 24 hours), then use scissors to remove the deflated beach ball through the hole.
- Screw an LED bulb (which stays cool to the touch) into the cord set, then push it inside the lantern so the bulb is centered and at least 2½" away from all sides. Secure the cord set to the top of the lantern using wire, and suspend above a table.