11th FEB-National, International and Sports News Round-up
Editorial Team 11-02-2016
- Siachen braveheart Lance Naik Hanamanthappa Koppad loses battle for life
- Pakistani-American terrorist David Coleman Headley has said that Ishrat Jahan -- who was killed in an alleged fake encounter in 2004 in Gujarat -was a suicide bomber of Lashkar-e-Tayiba .
- Indian-origin person Harinder Sidhu has been appointed as Australia's new High Commissioner to India
- North Korea–South Korea relations: South Korea has started withdrawing its nationals from the Kaesong Industrial Region in protest to recent actions by North Korea. It has also shut off the supply of electricity and water to the Kaesong Industrial Region. North Korea has said that it would freeze all South Korean assets and equipment at the jointly run Kaesong Industrial Park.
- At least 52 inmates are killed in a riot and fire at Topo Chico prison in Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico.
- Warren Truss, the Deputy Prime Minister of Australia has announced his resignation as the leader of the National Party of Australia. Barnaby Joyce is elected as the new leader with Fiona Nash elected as the new deputy leader.
- France has named former Prime Minister of France Jean-Marc Ayrault as the new Foreign Minister replacing Laurent Fabius who resigned earlier in the week.
- The LIGO Scientific Collaboration experiment announces the first direct observation of gravitational waves which was first propounded by Einstein.
- South Africa team for the T20 world cup has been announced. Here is the list of players: Faf du Plessis (captain), Kyle Abbott, Hashim Amla, Farhaan Behardien, Quinton de Kock, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Imran Tahir, David Miller, Chris Morris, Aaron Phangiso, Kagiso Rabada, Rilee Rossouw, Dale Steyn, David Wiese.
- West Indies has defeated Bangladesh by 3 wickets in the under 10 World cup semifinal, will play India in the final on Sunday.Scores: Bangladesh’s 226 all out, West Indies 230-7, 48.4 overs.
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
- The rupee had slumped to its all-time closing low of 68.80 a dollar on August 28, 2013.
- Facebook board member Marc Andreessen has apologized for his "anti-colonialist" remark about India, saying it was "ill-informed and ill-advised".
- The S&P BSE Sensex slumped 807 points to close at 22,952 lowest since May 9,2014 and the Nifty50 cracked 239 points to end at 6,976, lowest since May 9, 2014.
- State Bank of India, reported a 62 per cent fall in quarterly profit at Rs 1,115 crore in third quarter , compared with Rs 2,910 crore a year earlier.