12th March- News & Current Affairs Update
Editorial Team 12-03-2016
- Lt Gen NPS Hira, presently holding the post of Chief of Staff of Northern Command at Udhampur, has been appointed as Deputy Chief of Army Staff with effect from March 14.
- The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant fire mortars containing an unidentified chemical agent killing one and injuring 600 in Taza Khurmatu, Iraq.
- Polish Constitutional Court crisis escalated when thousands of people took to the streets of Warsaw and other cities in Poland in protest against the Govt after it refused to publish the Constitutional Court's ruling that the government cannot change how the court works.
- Egyptian diplomat and former Foreign Minister Ahmed Abul Gheit was named as Secretary General of the Arab League on 10 March.
- Google artificial intelligence company DeepMind's AlphaGo program takes an unbeatable three to zero lead in a five-game Go match against grand master Lee Sedol.
- Afghanistan defeated Zimbabwe by 59 runs to enter the Super 10 stage of the World T20 event. Scores : Afghanistan 186/6 Zimbabwe 127.
- Scotland beat Hong Kong by 8 wickets in rain-hit World T20 qualifier. Scores: Hong Kong 127 for 7 , Scotland 76 for 2 in 8 overs(Revised target)
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
- Market regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has decided to bar willful defaulters from raising public funds through stocks and bonds and from taking board positions at listed companies.
- The Lok Sabha on 11 March passed the Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Bill, 2016.