15th FEB-National, International & Sports News Round-up
Editorial Team 15-02-2016
- A group of lawyers thrashed students and journalists inside and outside the Patiala House court premises during the the bail hearing of JNU Students Union president Kanhaiya Kumar, who has been arrested on charges of sedition for allegedly raising anti-India slogans.
- Former Delhi University lecturer SAR Geelani, who was booked for sedition in connection with an event at the Press Club of India in Delhi, was on Monday detained by police.
- Madras High Court judge Justice C S Karnan has said that he would "order" lodging an FIR under the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities Act) against the two Apex court judges who have directed that he be not given any judicial work.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina has formally applied to join the European Union.
- Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Olmert has started a 19-month prison sentence for bribery and obstructing justice.
- Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu has accused Russia of acting as a "terrorist organization" in Syria and has warned that Turkey would be forced to take decisive action if such action continued.
- The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces take control of Tell Rifaat in the Aleppo Governorate after pushing back mostly Islamist rebel fighters.
- The 58th Annual Grammy Awards was held at the Staples Centre in Los Angeles. Ed Sheeran won the Song of the Year for "Thinking Out Loud" while 1989 by Taylor Swift wins the Grammy Award for Album of the Year. View Full List of Winners Here
- Australia beats New Zealand by an innings and 52 runs in the first test match. Scores: New Zealand : 183/10 and 327/10, Australia 562/10
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
- India's exports contracted 13.6 per cent in January - 14th month in a row - to $21 billion