17th March- News & Current Affairs Update
Editorial Team 17-03-2016
- Goa government on 17 March 2016 classified the country liquor, Feni as Heritage Spirit of Goa.
- A Pakistani Joint Investigation Team will arrive in India on March 27 to carry forward its probe into the Pathankot terror attack
- Radar scans at the tomb of Tutankhamun, Pharaoh of Ancient Egypt, have revealed two chambers adjoining the tomb, raising prospect of finding the resting place of Queen Nefertiti.
- China has expressed its opposition to unilateral sanctions against North Korea in the wake of the imposition of new sanctions by the United States on the country.
- A Brazilian federal judge has blocked the appointment of ex-President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva as chief of staff, arguing that the appointment would derail a federal judicial investigation against him.
- The 10th Asian film awards were presented on 17 March 2016 in Macau, China. 'The Assassin', bagged prizes for, best film, best actress and best director.
- Famous magician Paul Daniels passed away on 17 March 2016 due to brain tumour. He was 77.
- Sri Lanka has beaten Afghanistan by 6 wickets in the World T20, in Kolkata. Scores Afghanistan : 153/7 (Asghar Stanikzai 62) Sri Lanka : 155/4 (T Dilshan 83)
- Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal slip three places down the rung to the sixth spot in the latest BWF world ranking on Thursday
- Barcelona's striker trio of Neymar, Luis Suarez and Lionel Messi all three scored in a 3-1 victory that sent the Spanish side into the Champions League quarter-finals 5-1 on aggregate.
- Bayern Munich staged a sensational comeback, scoring twice in extra time after battling back from two goals down to beat Juventus 4-2(6-4 Aggregate) on Wednesday to march into the Champions League last eight.
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
- AirAsia India has announced the appointment of Amar Abrol as its chief executive officer
- Liquor baron Vijay Mallya on Thursday sought time till April for making a personal appearance before the ED
- Auction of Kingfisher House, the headquarters of Vijay Mallya's defunct airline, did not attract any bids due to litigation fears and a high reserve price of Rs 150 crore
- Bharti Airtel has acquired spectrum in six regions for Rs 4,428 crore (Rs 44.28 billion) from Videocon Telecom
- Fazle Kabir on 15 March 2016 was appointed the 11th Governor of the Bangladesh Bank, the central bank of Bangladesh.