18th FEB- News & Current Affairs Update
Editorial Team 18-02-2016
- Veteran Hindustani classical singer Ustad Abdul Rashid Khan died in Kolkata on 18 February 2016. He was 107.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the guidelines for operationalization of the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY).
- Union Cabinet approved nomination of the Chief Executive Officer of NITI Aayog as a part-time member of the telecom commission.
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on 18 February 2016 announced a free bus pass scheme for senior citizens in Chennai.
- The Supreme Court on Thursday paved the way for government formation in Arunachal Pradesh by vacating its order on maintenance of status quo, after being satisfied with the Gauhati high court order staying the disqualification of the 14 rebel Congress MLAs.
- The Syrian Army, backed by the Russian Air Force, has reportedly captured the town of Kinsabba in the northwest Latakia Governorate.
- The President of the United States Barack Obama announces that he will visit Cuba next month becoming the first American president to visit Cuba since 1928.
- Nike, Inc. drops Manny Pacquiao as an endorser after his remarks about LGBT people.
- Sri Lanka T20 team for the World Cup announced. The Team: Lasith Malinga (captain), Angelo Mathews, Dinesh Chandimal, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Niroshan Dickwella, Shehan Jayasuriya, Milinda Siriwardana, Dasun Shanaka, Chamara Kapugedera, Nuwan Kulasekara, Dushmantha Chameera, Thisara Perera, Sachithra Senanayake, Rangana Herath, Jeffrey Vandersay.
- Real Madrid beat AS Roma 2-0 in their round of 16, first leg tie of UEFA Champions League on Wednesday.
- German club VfL Wolfsburg beat Belgian Club Gent 3-2 at the Ghelamco Arena in Belgium in their round of 16, first leg tie of UEFA Champions League.
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
- Shinjini Kumar, a former RBI executive is likely to head Paytm’s payments bank .