19th FEB- News & Current Affairs Update
Editorial Team 19-02-2016
- SC declined to hear Kanhaiya's bail plea to HC, saying that the intervention would set a 'dangerous precedent'
- Bihar Govt has reserved 2 pc govt jobs for freedom-fighters' grandchildren.
- At least one person was killed and up to 20 people injured during protests for higher reservation by the Jat community in Rohtak, India.
- NHRC probe team has come down heavily on Delhi Police and have said that the physical assault on JNU student leader Kanhaiya Kumar in the court premises appeared to have been "organised and pre-planned.
- The Delhi high court on Friday rejected a plea against exemptions granted to women and two-wheelers in the odd-even car scheme, scheduled to resume from April 15, terming it "premature"
- The fifth edition of 'Exercise IBSAMAR' between Brazil, India and South Africa began on Friday off the country's west coast with the harbour phase being conducted at Goa.
- Bollywood lyricist Sameer Anjaan on 17 February 2016 has been officially recognised by Guinness World Records as the Most prolific Bollywood lyricist ever who has composed 3524 different songs as of 15 December 2015.
- The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have taken control of Al-Shaddadah in Syria's north-east Al-Hasakah Governorate following heavy clashes with ISIL militants.
- Cyclone Winston heads towards Fiji at Category 5 strength. It is expected to make landfall on Saturday.
- Serbia closes its southern border with Macedonia to migrants from countries not affected by war as part of measures to prevent illegal immigration.
- European Union leaders unanimously agree on reforms aimed at keeping the United Kingdom in the 28-nation bloc before the country's scheduled June 23, 2016, referendum on continuing EU membership.
- The Indian women cricket team won the three-match ODI series against Sri Lanks, 3-0. In the third and final match played in Ranchi, India defeated the Sri Lankan team by seven wickets.
- Indian sprinter Dutee Chand set a new national record while winning the 60m dash heats at the 7th Asian Indoor Athletics Championships in Doha on Friday. Dutee clocked 7.28 secs, the best by an Indian to date, that also bettered the Asian Indoor Athletics Championships record.
- India continued their impressive run in the Badminton Asia Team Championships, scoring a hard-earned 3-2 victory over former champions Malaysia, in Hyderabad, on Friday
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India was authorised by its members on Friday, at its Special General Meeting in Mumbai, to file an affidavit in the Supreme Court pointing out the anomalies and difficulties encountered in implementation of the Justice Lodha Committee’s recommendations.
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
- Yahoo Inc. has said that it has created a committee of independent directors that will explore strategic alternatives, notably the sale of its core internet business.
- West Bengal Finance Minister Amit Mitra was on Friday named the new chairman of the Empowered Committee of State Finance Ministers on Goods and Services Tax. He will succeed Kerala Finance Minister K M Mani, who had to resign in November over corruption charges.