2nd March- News & Current Affairs Update
Editorial Team 02-03-2016
- Tamil Nadu Govt has said that it has decided to remit the sentence of life imprisonment of all the seven convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case and release them and have sought the Centre's views on the move.
- Delhi HC grants Kanhaiya conditional interim bail for six months warning him to desist from participating actively or passively in any activity which may be termed as anti-national.
- Supreme Court has ordered the Maharashtra state government to grant licences to dance bars by March 15.It also modified 5 of the conditions proposed by the Maharashtra Police.
- The government has limited the role of the department of disinvestment (DoD) by taking away from it the job of strategic disinvestment of public sector undertakings (PSUs). DoD will now be called the department of investment and public asset management (Dipam).
- The United Nations Security Council has adopted the toughest sanctions on North Korea in twenty years due to its continued efforts to develop a nuclear weapons program.
- Iraqi engineers have warned that the Mosul Dam is in danger of collapsing anytime, resulting in a catastrophic flash flood that could kill up to one million people residing along the Tigris. Major Iraqi cites of Mosul, Tikrit, Samarra and Baghdad are at risk.
- An undersea 7.9 magnitude earthquake struck southwest of Sumatra, in the Indian Ocean, triggering tsunami warnings by The Meteorological, Climatological and Geophysical Agency of Indonesia (BMKG) and the Australian Bureau of Meteorology (BOM).
- The European Union has launched a new aid program worth an initial 700 million euros (US$760 million) to address the growing refugee crisis in Greece.
- The Gulf Cooperation Council, consisting of Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates, have formally designated Lebanon's Hezbollah militia a terrorist organization.
- A piece of wreckage from a Boeing 777 of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 that mysteriously vanished nearly two years ago with 239 people, was reported to have been found washed ashore on the coast of Mozambique.
- Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton recorded emphatic wins in the crucial 'Super Tuesday' winning 7 states each.READ MORE HERE
- US astronaut Kelly and his Russian crewmates Mikhail Kornienko and Sergey Volkov have landed back on Earth after spending nearly a year on the International Space Station.
- Bangladesh beat Pakistan by 5 wickets in their match of the Asia Cup T20 tournament. Score Pakistan: 129/7 Bangladesh : 131/5 in 19.1 Overs, to reach the Final of Asia Cup.
- IOC(International Olympic Committee ) has cleared the AIBA(International Boxing Association) rule that will allow male boxers to fight without headgear at the Rio Olympics.