4th FEB-National, International and Sports News Round-up
Editorial Team 04-02-2016
- The 10 Army personnel, including an officer, who were buried under a mass of snow after being hit by an avalanche on Wednesday at a high-altitude post on Siachen Glacier in Jammu and Kashmir, have been reported dead.
- Eleven people including a former Trinamool Congress leader were awarded death sentence by Nadia district court on Thursday for killing a woman to grab government land about 14 months ago
- Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi have moved the Supreme Court against a Delhi high court decision that dismissed their appeals seeking a quashing of summons issued to them by a trial court in connection with the National Herald case.
- The Budget Session of Parliament will commence on February 23 that will focus largely on the financial business of the government, which will present the general budget on Feb 29.
- India signed agreement to become an Associate Member State of European Molecular Biology Organisation (EMBO)
- A 4-day International Fleet Review began in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
- World Cancer Day (WCD) 2016 was observed across the world on 4 February
- The UN Panel has ruled that Julian Assange is being arbitrarily detained.
- Twelve nations, including the United States, sign the Trans Pacific deal in Auckland, New Zealand.
- Sri Lanka lifts unofficial ban on Tamil national anthem on independence day.
- Army Lieutenant General John Nicholson was appointed as the commander of the NATO forces in Afghanistan
- Indian badminton star and Olympic bronze medallist Saina Nehwal was Thursday ruled out along with Parupalli Kashyap from the 12th South Asian Games due to injury concerns
- The Supreme Court has urged the Board of Control for Cricket in India to follow the recommendations of the Justice R M Lodha Committee and "save trouble"
- Luis Suarez scored four goals and Lionel Messi grabbed a hat-trick as Barcelona all but wrapped up their King’s Cup semi-final by crushing Valencia 7-0 in the first leg at the Nou Camp
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
- The Yuvraj Singh-run seed fund company, YouWeCan Ventures, plans to start an incubator soon. The company said the first two arms of this company would be set up in Gurgaon and Bengaluru.
- The private company of Tata Group doyen Ratan Tata will jointly invest with the $100-billion investment arm of the University of California, in start-ups and companies in India that focus on the segments of mobile telephony, energy, health care and emerging technologies.