7th March- News & Current Affairs Update
Editorial Team 07-03-2016
- The Delhi government has decided to file cases against 3 TV channels for airing 'doctored' JNU tapes. The names of the channels were not disclosed.
- HRD minister Smriti Irani was on Monday in a spot when the children of a doctor killed in an accident on the Yamuna Expressway alleged that she had walked away from the accident scene despite their repeated requests to help save their father.
- An extraordinary summit of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) on Palestine and Al-Quds Al-Sharif — or Jerusalem opened at the Jakarta Convention Center in the Indonesian capital, bringing together representatives of 49 countries.
- Indonesian President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has called upon the Muslim leaders at the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) summit meeting in Jakarta to unite and be part of the solution on Palestine.
- Amnesty International has criticized the EU for using Turkey as a buffer to police Europe’s borders.
- Raymond Samuel Tomlinson, the inventor of E-mail and the man who put @ on email, passed away at the age of 74.
- Maria Sharapova has disclosed that she has tested positive for a banned drug Meledonium, while playing at the Australian open earlier this year.
- Injury-hit pacer Lasith Malinga has stepped down as Sri Lanka's captain for the upcoming World Twenty20 in India. All-rounder Angelo Mathews, will now be the team's captain of Sri Lanka
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
- Germany's BASF SE, the largest chemical producer in the world, is reported to be planning to counterbid for DuPont that could jeopardize Dupont’s merger with fellow American firm, Dow Chemical Company.
- The Enforcement Directorate has registered a money laundering case against Vijay Mallaya and others in connection with the alleged default of over Rs 900 crore (Rs 9 billion) loan from IDBI bank.
- Jewellers on Monday decided to continue their pan-India strike for an indefinite period against the Budget proposal to impose 1 per cent excise duty.