9th March- News & Current Affairs Update
Editorial Team 09-03-2016
- The National Green Tribunal has given a go ahead to Sri Sri Ravi Shankar’s Art of Living three-day ‘World Culture Festival’ after imposing a fine of Rs 5 Cr on the Art of Living.
- Supreme Court has issued notices to Delhi and Tamil Nadu Govt for misusing tax payers fund for public advertisements. AAP Govt is reported to have earmarked Rd 526 Cr for the said purpose.
- North Korea State media has claimed that the country has miniaturized nuclear warheads to be mounted on ballistic missiles.
- USA has carried out targeted air attacks targeting chemical weapons capabilities of ISIS reported to be manufacturing mustard gas weapons.
- The Parliament of Egypt has drafted a law which would ban women from wearing full-face veils such as the niqāb and burqa in public places and government institutions.
- In the USA Presidential nomination race, Bernie Sanders has handed a surprise defeat to Hillary Clinton in Michigan while Trump consolidated his position by winning Mississippi, Hawaii and Michigan. Clinton won Mississippi while Ted Cruz won Idaho.
- Sir George Martin, music producer better known as the fifth Beatle has died at the age of 90.
- Australia defeated South Africa in the third T20 by 6 wickets . Scores: South Africa: 178/4 (H Amla 97), Australia: 181-4 in 19.2 over(S Smith 44)
- The venue for the India-Pak T20 match for the World T20 has been shifted to Kolkata from Dharmsala due to security concerns.
- Bangladesh defeated Netherland in the T20 qualifier by 8 runs . Scores: Bangladesh: 153/7 (T Iqbal 83), Netherland : 145/7 in 20 over(Myburgh 29)
- Oman defeated Ireland in the T20 qualifier by 2 wickets. Scores: Ireland: 154/5 (G Wilson, 38), Oman : 157/8 in 19.4 over(J Maqsood 38)
- PSG beat Chelsea 2-1(Aggregate 4-2) in the reverse leg of the Group of 16 of the Champions league to reach the last 8 stage.
- Benfica beat Zenit 2-1(Aggregate 3-1) in the reverse leg of the Group of 16 of the Champions league to reach the last 8 stage.
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
- The Attorney General has informed the Supreme Court that Vijay Mallya was no longer in the country.