DIY Kids Snack Ideas
Fruit Roll Ups:
2 1/2 – 3 cups ripe or slightly over-ripe raspberries
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Honey to taste
Preheat oven to lowest temperature. 140° or higher. Puree all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Pour onto a baking sheet lined with plastic wrap, or a silicone baking mat (don’t use foil, parchment, or waxed paper), and spread to 1/8″ thick. Place in oven and bake for 6-8 hours, until center is not tacky anymore.
8 ounces, weight Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
4 Tablespoons Butter, Cut Into Cubes
1 cup Flour
¾ teaspoons Salt
2 Tablespoons Cold Water
1. Pulse everything (except water) together in the food processor until the dough resembles coarse sand.
2. Pulse in water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
3. Remove dough from the processor, wrap in plastic, and chill for 20 minutes.
4. Roll out the dough and cut into desired shapes. You can use a toothpick to make the eyes and smile if desired. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes, or until crispy.
6. Makes approximately 7 dozen crackers.
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice or fresh orange juice (if you don’t like sour go with orange, but I definitely prefer the lemon!)
2/3 cup frozen or fresh berries (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries are all great.)
1 – 2 Tbs honey
5 Tbs gelatin (from grass fed cows… like this)
1. Pour juice and berries into a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally until berries become tender and begin to soften.
2. Add honey and stir until completely incorporated. You will want the fruit to dissolve quite a bit until you have a compote.
3. Turn the heat off, and quickly whisk in gelatin one tablespoon at a time. Whisk vigorously until completely incorporated, mixing the gelatin in very gradually to avoid lumps.
4. Puree mixture using a immersion blender or small blender (my magic bullet works great for this! Just be sure to cool slightly before moving over.)
5. Pour into a 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 glass dish. Refrigerate until set (30 minutes to an hour). Cut in small squares. (You could also use some cute molds like this and create awesome shapes. I’m not awesome like that… but you could be!)