Why Is Breakfast Essential For Kids
We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.Skipping breakfast can make kids feel tired, restless, or irritable.Our body needs to refuel in the morning especially kids,for the day ahead because we go without food for 8 to 12 hours in the night during sleep. Breakfast also can helps keep kids weight in control. Body’s metabolism kick starts when kids eat breakfast as its the first meal out the day and as the metabolism kick starts the boys starts burning calories.
Studies also show that kids who don't eat breakfast tend to consume more calories when compared to those who don’t. Not just that, it’s Important that they get the right kind of food too.
Choosing the right breakfast is equally important as eating it.Choose a breakfast that is rich in whole grains, fiber, and protein.This helps boost kids' attention span, concentration, and memory also. Its always a great idea to select whole grain cereals with low added sugar,fresh fruits and juices and milk.
Its always a great idea to stock your kitchen with healthy breakfast options so that you don't have to rush in the mornings.
Here are few tips how you can make breakfast an habit:
- Prepare as much as you can the night before.
- Get everyone up 10 minutes earlier so that kids never miss breakfast.
- Let kids help plan and prepare breakfast so that they can choose food of their choice.
- Have grab-and-go alternatives (fresh fruit; individual boxes or baggies of whole-grain, low-sugar cereal; yogurt or smoothies; trail mix) on days when kids are in a rush.
- If kids don't find time for breakfast then make sure you pack breakfast so that they can munch on it not he way or in between classes. Cut fruits,sandwiches and yogurt bowls are a great idea for packed breakfast.
Its important to know what not to eat also. High calorie or high added sugar food are not suggested at all. You might think that nutrition bars are a good replacement for breakfast but make sure you read the label before picking them as they can be of high calorific value or high in added sugar.
Always try and serve a balanced breakfast that includes a mix of carbohydrates, protein, and fiber. Carbs gives immediate energy,Protein energy starts to kick in after the carb energy and finer helps your kids feel full and suppress sugar cravings.